You look hungry. Scroll for our a peek inside our kitchen and an amazing recipe for your archives.
015. Pear + Olive Oil Cake
RECIPE BY RACHAEL GORJESTANI
Although this recipe looks complex, each step is quite simple and straightforward, and you end up with a beautiful cake! The sweetness is subtle and mostly concentrated in the glaze and pears, which balances nicely with the richness from the olive oil in the cake. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
I imagine, if you wanted to you, you could dice up an extra pair and fold it into the batter, which would add more pear in each bite.
PEAR + GLAZE INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup water
Big pinch of sea salt
1⁄4 tsp cardamom
2 pears, halved and core removed
4 eggs, separated
1⁄2 cup Other Brother olive oil 2⁄3 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1⁄2 cup hazelnut flour (or almond flour)
1⁄2 cup flax meal (about 1⁄3 cup whole seeds ground) 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1⁄2 tsp sea salt
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp ground cardamom
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a skillet warm the honey, water, olive oil, sea salt, cardamom, whisky continuously. Once the mixture starts to bubble, add the pears cut side down. Cover. Cook for 4-6 minutes, depending on the size of the pears. Flip. remove lid. Cook for 4-6 minutes. The pears should be slightly tender, but not totally soft.
3. Place the pears cut side down in a springform cake pan with the bottom lined with parchment.
4. Back to the skillet, reduce liquid by half until syrupy and thick, about 10 minutes. Be mindful not to burn the honey. You’ll know it’s ready when it turns an amber color. Pour over pears, scraping all the honey with a rubber spatula. Place in the fridge while you mix the remaining ingredients.
5. In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Set to the side.
6. In a second bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, olive oil, vanilla together. Add to the dry ingredients, mix well.
7. In a stand up mixer or bowl/hand held mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks, about 3-5 minutes.
8. Fold the egg whites into the batter. Do it in 2 stages; turning the bowl 90 degrees with each fold until completely incorporated.
9. Pour batter into the springform cake pan, place on a baking sheet in the middle rack. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Check with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.